Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Health

Many of you wonder how I manage to stay fit and slim. I think that I get at least two emails per week about that and comments every week. It's very particular to get questions about how to stay fit when my body has gone through that enormous natural transformation when you carry a child inside of you and your body adapts. I can tell you that a lot has changed. Slowly but surely I start to recognise it again even though it will never look like it once did.
For as long as I can remember, I've been working out in one way or another. My body is full of muscles under those soft layers of fat from years of riding, dancing ballet/modern/jazz and running in my younger days. For my wellbeing and also for my physical strength, I need a small amount of exercise almost every day. The problem is that I hate going to the gym, running and all of those ideal things to stay in shape. And also, I hate everything that has to do with diets, calorie counting, saying no to fat and carbs just because of some kind of weight watching theory ... etc. To me, it's all rubbish and an unstimulating way of getting obsessed with food and in the end to get an eating disorder. After all, it's so unattractive to meet women who can't appreciate food in the way the world's heavenly created ingredients are meant to be explored and enjoyed; with tender appreciation and passion.

When I was younger, I struggled with bad self-esteem because of my body, like most women in this world unfortunately. But just as I hoped for, it all grew away and during the years I have understood what my body needs to stay strong, in shape and in my way of seeing it - healthy fit.
It's in fact a way of living where you allow yourself more or less everything you want, when you want it - but in reasonable proportions. I never restrain myself from anything and therefore seldom need to eat a whole box of ice cream, because I know that I can eat a normal portion every day if I want. When you allow yourself that kind of mental freedom around things that normally give a lot of pressure to women, you will start to understand that the cravings are lessened simply by the fact that there is no "dangerous" food. Food only changes your body when you abuse it.
If you eat a piece of chocolate here and there, I will hardly be noticeable on your body, but if you eat a whole chocolate bar every day, that will of course eventually translate into extra curves on your body.

It's very important to eat food that makes you satisfied and full. I would never leave out neither breakfast, lunch or dinner with a half full stomach. The risk that I would like to kill someone for a bag of chips or something else of the kind is obviously much higher.
I myself have a rule: I seldom eat something like a desert before eating a proper meal. Most often, I only need something small after dinner so when doing it that way the temptation is only for small things rather then squeezing another full meal in a desert.
All my meals contain some kind of protein like meat most often, potato/pasta or other kind of carbs and some vegetables. I'm also very fond of sauces and it's always a part of my meal. I always put butter on my carbs and in my veggies if they are steamed, for example. Fat is not dangerous in a proper meal. It's everything around, the unnecessary things that are harmful.
I also make sure to have what I call "between snacks". Like a smoothie, a sandwich or whatever I have close at that moment. It makes the metabolism work harder all through the day and the cravings for sweet things is less.

With exercise, I am a big fan of what can be done at home. It's so much easier and I can do it whenever I have 10 minutes free. I usually do some push-ups, sit-ups and some bump exercises. I sometimes use hand weights of 7kg each. And that's it. Apart from that, I try to walk as much as possible, but do have a problem just walking. I need to have a goal when I walk, so I often set a goal before passing the door. It can be something stupid like buying milk in a store further away.
I seldom dress for pure walking, then it would become pure exercise and in my head, that's boring. I just walk in my everyday life. It's my favorite kind of exercise because hardly notice it.
As explained above, I hate all kinds of planned exercise and having this daily routine relives me of pressure and guilty feelings. Some days, I won't do anything at all and some, I have a lot of energy and do more. To me, it isn't something I do here and now, it's a way of life. I strive to be strong, fit in my own way and in my own good shape for as long as possible.

I have a normal weight for my height. I have cellulite and extra fat in a lot of places, but the goal for me is not to get rid of that, more to have a firm body, see small contours in my arms, legs and stomach and especially to feel strong but without loosing the female lines. Fat is something we have, us women. It comes with the beautiful female body and is part of the magical possibility that the biological evolution has given us to be able to carry and nurture a child.

With all this said, I didn't do anything to keep in shape right after birth. It took almost five months to get my energy back and even thinking about anything superficial like this. But the necessity to get a strong body back one day took over and I've been back in my old track for a while, that daily way of living before I got pregnant and all of that.

Find a way that fits you and incorporate it into your life and have it as a lifestyle instead of something you do from time to time. If you find that fragile balance of eating what you want in normal portions, exercising a little everyday rather then massively two times per week and learning how to enjoy yourself in heart and soul - you'll always stay in perfect shape. Your own perfect shape.
And all of that focus on food and weight can be put into something more intelligent and creative.

28 comments:

  1. Som alltid, fantastiskt skrivet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever gone skiing in Spain? If not, you have some wonderful skiresorts here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written and so insightful. Reading this really gave me something to think about, and serves as a great reminder. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen;-), I agree with every word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written and so true. I am a petite person and have maintained my weight for years without counting any calories. I only prefer food of good quality for me and my family. Do you know the book of Mireille Guilano: "French Women don´t get fat?" It seems that she describes the lifestyle you prefer. Have a nice day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't know about the book but I do think french women in general lives a balanced life when it comes to workout, looks and food.

      Delete
  6. You are an inspiration! Your way of living is so balanced as is your way of thinking. I love to read your posts with longer texts because they always have so much too say & to express.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So vackert skrivet!!! Och så sant... Kommer läsa detta inlägg igen och igen- inte bara för utseendets skull utan för ditt tänkande som jag tycker hjälper många aspekter i livet. Thank's for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jättebra inlägg! Vackert skrivet och så sant!Jag håller med i ALLT du skriver. Tidigare har jag alltid varit en av de som haft ständigt dåligt samvete för mat, mat som jag borde äta och mat som jag inte borde äta. Lagt restriktioner på min diet (som alltsom oftast slutat med hetsätning och ännu mer dåligt samvete) och fått dåligt samvete över uteblivna träningspass. De senaste året har något ändrats. Jag har börjat uppskatta god mat och goda viner i ännu större utsträckning än förr, och sakta men säkert har alla förbud försvunnit och jag har upplevt tillfredsställdhet efter varje måltid, istället för ett sug efter något "onyttigt" och förbjudet. Jag tränar för att det är kul och känns skönt, inte för att jag måste förbränna kalorier. Detta är en så uppfriskande filosofi, jämfört med hets om LCHF, GI, etc etc. Det är såhär vi är ämnade att leva!

    Stor kram till dig Stina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Så sant! Vad gäller maten håller jag till 100% med, även om jag inser att det finns människor som har lätt att gå upp i vikt och kanske måste begränsa sig mer. Vad gäller motion räcker det säkerligen om man vill upprätthålla sin form, men vill man förbättra sin kondition behöver man utöva mer ansträngande sport.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree with the above comments, I totally salute you!
    Otroligt uppfriskande att veta att det finns fler som inte heller gillar det där med att förbjuda sig själv mat samt att hårdträna, utan hittar sitt eget sätt att må bra och känna sig stark på.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Du åpnet øynene mine!! Tusen takk, du skriver så bra og så sant så sant :)
    Ha en fin dag!
    Hilsen fra Norge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Så sant! Så borde fler kvinnor se på saken. Kan man njuta av livet så som du gör, mår man garanterat bättre än om man stressar för varje kalori man stoppar i sig. Och visst blir det stressigt om man "tvingar" sig själv att träna. Tack Stina för ännu ett toppen inlägg!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jag håller med och försöker verkligen tänka så. Jag sa senast igår till min man att jag säkert ägnar mer än halva min tid till att tänka på hur jag ser ut/borde se ut. Suck. 36 år med tankar som en tonåring. Jag ska ha dina ord i huvudet istället så kanske jag kan börja slappna av lite! Tack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone: Thank you very much for the appreciation. And thanks for sharing. I think we all should leave healthy and take care of both the inside and outside as a lifestyle. I hope all women would come to turn with their ow bodies and realize what matters and what works.

      Warm regards,
      Stina

      Delete
  14. love it, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Du säger alltid de bästa sakerna, gillar Dig. Kicki

    ReplyDelete
  16. I started to cry when I read this, you are a real rolemodel. So beautiful, intelligent and wonderful. In my life there has been alot of downs when it comes to food, I have been struggeling with eating disorder for a too long period of my life.I wish a woman like you had been by my side when I was 13 and been telling me those words, so I hope you reach out to alot of girls with your important words. Thank you Stina for making my day. A lot of love from Norway(Stine)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyone: Thank you very much for the appreciation. And thanks for sharing. I think we all should live healthy and take care of both the inside and outside as a lifestyle. I hope all women would come to turn with their own bodies and realize what matters and what works.

    Warm regards,
    Stina

    ReplyDelete
  18. IS IT YOU ??????? we do not see your back !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hej Stina, och tack! Som alla andra vill jag tacka för kloka ord. Du skiver ngt som jag i teorin vet men i praktiken har svårt att leva efter. Trodde jag släppt risken för att börja tänka och krångla m mat då jag lämnat tonåren och klarat mig men inser att j närmare jag kommer trettio desto mer fokuserad på kalorier blir jag. Fast jag innerst inne vet vad jag behöver hejar är som du som behöver mellanmål osv. Ändå ska det petas m sallad och mm krop mår dåligt. Tack för inspirationen och positiva tankar!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jätte bra skrivet och fantastiskt sätt att leva på!!! Hoppas att jag lyckas leva mer efter en sådan livsstil. Jag länkade till detta blog inlägg för att jag tyckte det var så himla bra!. Hoppas det är oki :D. Ha det gott/Lisa

    ReplyDelete